Happy Halloween, everyone! I don’t have a Halloween themed recipe for you, but in the spirit of fall Andrew and I went apple picking last weekend.
It was a rare, beautiful fall day in Ohio as we picked and ate sweet apples fresh off the tree. With more apples than we could possibly eat, I decided to put them to use in an apple butter.
This crock pot recipe takes a bit of preparation, but once your apples are peeled, cored, and sliced you can sit back and let the smell of apples and cinnamon fill your home.
Spread the finished apple butter over toast or an English muffin for a fall inspired breakfast or snack.
Crock Pot Apple Butter
- 5 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1 tbls. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- Put the prepared apples in the crockpot
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice
- Pour the spices over the apples
- Add the cider to the crock pot and stir to combine
- Cook on low for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally
- If apples are still intact, mash with the back of a spoon until desired consistency is reached