Baked ziti has always been one of my favorites. How can you say no to that bubbling, cheesy goodness fresh from the oven?
This is a pretty quick meal to throw together, especially if you’re like me and always have a jar of homemade marinara sauce in the fridge. Just boil your pasta, mix with sauce and cheese, and pop it in the oven for a few minutes. Use the marinara sauce from my first post for a quick, flavorful sauce.
I add a small amount of ricotta cheese to this ziti to give it a creamier, richer texture. And because I have no shame for my love of cheese. But even if you’re not a cheese fanatic like myself, you’ll love the oomph the ricotta gives this baked ziti dish. The pasta comes out moist and full of classic Italian flavors. You won’t be disappointed!
- 1/2 box of ziti
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 links Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup mozarella, plus more to sprinkle on top of ziti
- Half of a medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbls. olive oil
- Grated Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add ziti and boil, uncovered, until just undercooked. Strain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, sauteing until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add in the sausage and continue to cook over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, 6-7 minutes.
- In a large, oven proof dish, combine pasta, sausage mixture, marinara sauce, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Stir until well combined. Top with more mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Top with extra Parmesan.