After several hectic weeks of traveling and late nights, it had been a while since I’d really been able to cook. So when I saw fresh rice noodles at Trader Joe’s, I was inspired to make a spicy stir fry dish over noodles. As I was whipping up this quick dish filled with complex flavors, it felt really great to be back in the kitchen. Being away for a bit is a nice reminder of how much I really love to cook.
But anyway, this is a great weeknight meal that can be whipped up quickly, but still impresses. Marinating the shrimp for just 30 minutes in an Asian inspired marinade adds a nice extra level of flavor. I added plenty of veggies to bulk up the meal, while still keeping it light and healthy.
This recipe is really just a guideline. This meal would be great with just about any protein and whatever vegetables you may have around the house. Stir fry dishes such as this are a great way to use up pretty much whatever is in your fridge. But if you decide to use steak or chicken in place of the shrimp, I would definitely recommend marinating the meat for several hours. If you do make substitutions, I’d love to hear how it turns out!
Spicy Stir Fried Rice Noodles with Shrimp
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tbls. honey
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbls. honey
- 1 tbls. sesame oil
- 1 tbls. hoisin sauce
- 1-2 tbls. siracha (depending on how spicy you’d like it)
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 12 oz. fresh rice noodles
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbls. vegetable oil, divided
- Combine all ingredients for the shrimp marinade in a large bowl. Add the shrimp, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, prep the vegetables. Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium high heat in a large pan or wok.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the pan and saute, 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, bell pepper, mushrooms, and carrots to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, 6-8 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and drain. Add the shrimp to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated through and no longer translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- While the shrimp cooks, heat a large pot of water until boiling. Cook rice noodles according to package directions.
- Combine all stir fry sauce ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the shrimp and lower the heat to medium low. Add the stir fry sauce and simmer 2-3 minutes. Add the rice noodles and toss to coat.