I know it’s not the most popular vegetable, but I absolutely love Brussels sprouts. If you haven’t given them a chance, definitely try them out. They don’t deserve the bad rep they’ve received.
And if you’re looking to try some Brussels sprouts, what better way to start than with this simple, unique salad? This is one of my go-to recipes when I don’t really feel like cooking, but would like a healthier, home-cooked meal. Simply pop the veggies in the oven with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, toss them in some balsamic vinegar, top with cheese and you’re good to go!
This salad is great as a side dish for a heartier meal, or by itself as a lighter option. I know it’s not the most beautiful salad, but once you get a taste of the sweet, caramelized onions and beets tossed with the tangy balsamic vinegar, you won’t care anymore. If you’re anything like me, it will be gone before you even notice!
Warm Roasted Brussels Sprout and Beet Salad
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, bottoms removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large beet, washed, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 oz. goat cheese
- 2 tbls. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a small pan over low heat with one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions and begin to caramelize, cooking slowly over low heat for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
- While the onions caramelize, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Toss the prepared Brussels sprouts and beet in the other tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts, beets, and caramelized onions to a large serving bowl. Add the croutons and goat cheese. Toss in balsamic vinegar and more salt and pepper, if necessary. Enjoy!